at its monthly meeting on 21 August 2017, the Board of your Association completed its discussion on the duties and composition of the Board. Here are the elements of that discussion, and the ensuing proposal to our membership.
1) Your Association was set up almost 2 years ago, and since then it has worked with a Board of 3 members (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, these designations having replaced the earlier ones of President, Vice President and Secretary).
2) It has become apparent that our Association, and the individual users’ community in Europe, would be better served by several improvements: a revised set of objectives for the period 2017-18, further involvement of our community in EURALO and ALAC activities in ICANN, enhanced involvement of our Members in the work of the Association, enlarging our Board, and further improvements to our website.
3) While the above changes or improvements are under way, the enlargement of the Board requires a consultation of our membership and a formal vote, which we propose to carry out online.
4) With this in mind, and before a formal vote is taken, the following proposal is submitted to you:
‘’The Board, currently composed of 3 Members, shall be enlarged to 5: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and 2 additional seats.
– A call for candidates shall be issued to Association members in September 2017, with the purpose of populating the 5-member Board. The list of candidates shall be communicated to Association members by email, and be posted on the Association website.
– The current Board shall organise an online vote, with each Association member being requested to designate 2 candidates from the list, for the future 5-member Board.
– The online voting procedure shall be carried out transparently, with an appropriate online voting tool. The method and result of the vote shall be presented once again at our next General Assembly (GA, date, time and venue to be confirmed, in the margins of ICANN-60 in Abu Dhabi).
– The 5 candidates having received the most votes shall constitute the future Board, to be formally voted in during our next General Assembly.
– After confirmation by the GA, the new Board shall then meet (in person, or online); in the course of its first meeting, the new Board shall shall attribute, among its five Members, the positions of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and the 2 remaining seats.
– This proposal shall be posted on the Association website without delay, and include a call for candidates to the future Board.”
5) Members’ comments are welcome on this page mentioned, before 15 September 2017.
6) Members of the Association are encouraged to send in their expression of interest to serve on the Board, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , before 15 September 2017.
7) A separate email will be forthcoming about the next General Assembly, to be held in the margins of ICANN-60 in Abu Dhabi (28 October – 3 November 2017).
On behalf of the Board, EURALO Individuals Association:
Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Chair.